meet your NMHS Academic Counselors
School Counselor's Role
- School counselors work to create a future world where all students thrive.
- Apply academic achievement strategies
- Plan for post-secondary options (higher education, military, work force)
- Individual student academic planning and goal setting
- School counseling classroom lessons based on student success standards
- Short-term counseling to students
- Referrals for long-term support
- Collaboration with families/teachers/ administrators/ community for student success
- Advocacy for students at individual education plan meetings and other student-focused meetings
- Acting as a systems change agent to improve equity and access, achievement and opportunities for all students
Guidance Counselor vs. School Counselor: https://schoolcounselor.org/getmedia/c8d97962-905f-4a33-958b-744a770d71c6/Guidance-Counselor-vs-School-Counselor.pdf
Individual counseling - Meet one-on-one to discuss personal/social challenges and develop coping strategies.
Academic counseling - Support academic skill development, academic literacy , and students' goal orientation
Career counseling - Assist students with post-secondary education planning, career exploration, and preparation.
Make sure to Follow our new instagram
Your NMHS Counselors are now on Instagram! On Instagram, we hope to provide more information around college applications, college & career readiness, A-G information, academic planning, and much more! Give us a follow so that you can stay up to date with all things counseling related! We're super excited to deliver information to you all via Instagram.